Sunday 28 March 2010

Worst week of my life - Day 88


Anyone reading this may have wondered where last week's measurement and weight updates are. I haven't been online this week. On Sat 20th March my parents were involved in a horrific head on collision while completely static - leaving both of them in ICU after being airlifted to hospital.

My mum is doing better after 3 operations on her arm, knee and hip - and despite broken ribs and a broken sternum is on the mend. My dad is in a much worse condition, and is currently in an induced coma awaiting the multiple surgeries he is going to have to go through before they can bring him out of the coma. On Tuesday this week the doctor told us to start to expect the worst, but thankfully he has been fighting and is now slightly better. With a lot of prayer we are hoping this will start to happen on Thursday this week, but we don't know whether he has brain damage or paralysis yet.

In light of this weight loss seems extremely trivial, but I am proud to say I have stuck with the programme, and even though I haven't had a scale and have had to estimate weights I've stuck to my 4 sachets, small protein and 2 litres of water daily. I had to cancel this week's Alizonne appointment, but am seeing them tomorrow and will see what the status is then.

Unfortunately my parents don't have medical insurance, so my brother and I are now scrambling to raise funds to cover medical costs. As a result, we've cancelled our June holiday to put the funds towards this, which means the drive to phase off by the end of May is gone. This also means that I now have to reduce my treatments to bi-weekly rather than weekly - but ultimately it's about trying to keep my parents alive and not undo all the hard work I've already put into this.

One thing I will say is that if I've been able to stick to the programme this week of all weeks, I can manage anything that life throws at me - and no one can possibly have any excuse .....


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so very sorry to hear your news. I am guessing your parents live abroad? Have you been able to see them?
As melhoras para os dois e continua... daqui a 6 meses quando tiverem melhor e tu chegares ao tu golo vais ver qur valeu a pena.

Big Girl said...

Thank you for the kind wishes. It is a very difficult time for our family and we are all traumatised at the moment.

The do live abroad and I flew straight there, arriving back in the UK yesterday. I am spending a few days here sorting out some things before heading back in a few days' time.